SC Wrestling Weekly Stories and Photos - Wednesday - October 12, 2005
How many National Titles can we count?
Besides our two High School Senior National Champions with SC ties:
1) Lamar Thompson, Rock Hill, 1991, 145 lbs.
2) Ben Connell, Lugoff-Elgin, 2000, Hwt.
.... how many more National titles have we reigned in at the next level by SC wrestlers?
Collegiate National Champions with SC ties
1) Sam Henson - Clemson University (NCAA D1) 1993, 1994 - 2x National Champ at 118 lbs.
2) Kelly Revells - Summerville - Lassen Junior College (NJCAA) 1997, 126 lbs.
3) Bernhard Durham - Rock Hill - Carson-Newman (NAIA) 1993, 158 lbs.
4) Careef Robertson - Dutch Fork - Anderson College (NCAA D2) 2005 - 174 lbs.
5) Quinn Tolbert - Summerville - Newberry College (NCWA) 2005 - 174 lbs.
6) Shelton Benjamin - Orangeburg-Wilkinson - Lassen Junior College (NJCAA) - 1996 - Hwt.
As an added bonus, we have three Olympic Placers in wrestling with SC ties:
1) Ike Anderson - Lower Richland High - 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea, placing sixth at the
Olympics in Greco-Roman, one of the top U.S. performances at the tournament. Anderson was a
1991 Pan American Games silver medalist, and competed at the 1991 World Championships.
He boasts three World Cup medals, three U.S. Nationals titles and two Concord Cup titles.
He competed at Appalachian State Univ., where he was a NCAA qualifier. Anderson now works out
of Albany, NY as the USA Wrestling's Greco-Roman National Developmental Coach, working with the
nation's top young Greco-Roman wrestlers and thriving to develop Greco-Roman on the age-group levels.
2) Sam Henson - Clemson University - World Champion in 1998, US Olympic Silver Medallist in 2000.
3) Noel Loban - Clemson University - US Olympic Bronze Medallist in 1984 for Great Britian.
Article by Mark Buford